Its often ‘not what you know but who you know’ but networking is scary for most people and speaking is even worse.
When you start a business, you normally have a skill but new business owners often lack confidence in telling potential clients about their abilities.
It often doesn’t feel comfortable to explain the brilliant skills you have.
So here are somethings you can do to make it less scary:
- Introduce yourself – it’s one of the best possible and most obvious ice breakers – just go up to people and say ‘Hi, I am …. and I am a …..’ and ask them what they do
- Give examples in a mini story format – how do your skills or products benefit people, why do they need your services? You don’t have to name names, just explain in general terms how you help businesses and clients
- Why do you love what you do? Start Up Business Owners are always passionate about their business so be passionate when you meet people at networking event, its infectious
- Smile – being happy will make it easier to make new contacts and win business
- Work the event with your contacts – when you see people you know talk to them and ask them to introduce you to their contacts
- Watch out for Body Language – 93% of communication is none verbal so don’t cross your arms and do maintain strong eye contact (but don’t get too carried away!)
- Do things that make you feel confident – so dress appropriately, think about who you might meet and what you want to say
- Think positive thoughts – imagine how networking is going to make your business a success
Remember you are Good Enough! You have the skills to be successful and networking will be your key to success.